How to prepare Kottayam Fish Curry
Meen Vevichathu is otherwise called as Kottayam fish curry. It is delicious and spicy fish curry which is mainly taste based and taste so yummy.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 mins
- Fish – 500 grams
- Coconut Oil – 5 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds / Kaduku – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds(Vendayam) / Methi – 1/4 tbsp
- Shallots (Sambar Onion)- 20 peeled and sliced thinly
- Garlic – 5 cloves chopped finely
- Ginger – 2 small pieces chopped finely
- Green Chilli – 2 nos
- Curry leaves -handful
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder – 4 tbsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder / Manjal Podi – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seed Powder / Vendayam Podi – one pinch
- Salt to taste
- Kodapuli – 3 piece or Tamarind Pulp – 2 tbsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Heat oil in a preheated Kadai. Add mustards and fenugreek seeds and let it sizzle.
- Add in garlic, shallots, ginger, curry leaves and turmeric power. Saute them for 3 mins or more.
- Now lower the flame and add some kashmiri chilli powder and pepper powder. Saute this on low heat for around 5 mins. Spices must get toasted and the colour must get darken.
- Now add up tamarind pulp an water. Add little salt and bring it up to boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, add on fish and mix well. Add little curry leaves too.
- Cook it with lid partially covered for about 8 to 10 mins on medium heat. By this time, the fish will be cooked.
- Now take off and a big pinch of fenugreek seed powder and pepper powder if needed
- Finally pour a little tsp of coconut oil on to the top the recipe. Take it off from the stove and cover it with a lid. Wait for 2 to 4 hours for the flavours to develop.
- You can serve immediately after u cook but if you wait for a while then taste wonderful
- Now serve this with boiled tapioca or rice.