How to prepare Chakka Pradhaman
Jackfruit – 12-15 pieces
Jaggery – ½ cup
Thin Coconut Milk – 1 cup
Thick Coconut Milk – 1 cup
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 2 (crushed)
Cashewnuts – 2 tbsp
Coconut bits – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Choose ripe jackfruit pieces to make this pradhaman. Remove the seeds from the jack fruit pieces. Take half the flesh and puree it. The other half, chop it into small pieces. (You are free to puree the entire thing. I like to have some bits of jackfruit in my payasam.)
- Grate or chop the jaggery and melt it in a thick bottomed pan with about ¼ cup water.
- Strain the jaggery to remove any impurities. You can skip this step if the jaggery is a good quality one without impurities.
- Take the jackfruit puree, jack fruit pieces, the strained jiggery syrup, 1 tbsp ghee and the thin coconut milk in a heavy bottomed pan. Cook it on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- By now, the jackfruit will be well cooked and the payasam would have thickened. Adjust the consistency with more water or milk if needed. Also add more sugar if you prefer the pradhaman sweeter.
- At this stage, add the thick coconut milk and crushed cardamom pods. Switch off after it gets heated through.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a small pan and roast the coconut bits and cashew nuts. Add this to the payasam. Tasty jackfruit pradhaman is ready to enjoy!!!