Engineering BE cut off marks to decrease down
Famous educationists observed that based on recent results of +2 examinations, cut off marks for joining engineering courses such as B. E. is said to have decreased. Observed cut off marks are decreased down by 2 to 3 marks when compared to the previous year. In other words, students for each cut off mark of each were 0.25 starting from 200/200 which is less as compared to the previous year.
For pursuing engineering courses cut off marks are based on the marks obtained at Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry. Students who scored 200/200 subject wise has not been announced yet when comparing its overall +2 marks, number of students who got maximum marks out of possible is 1200 has decreased down by a long way.
At a similar trend many students is said to have scored aggregates of less than 700 out of 1200 which was been increased this year. Specially on important subject of Chemistry its essential for engineering courses, a majority of students scored less marks.
- About 1171 students is said to have scored more than 1180 marks out of 1200 in last year. In this, this year, only 231 students is said to have scored more than 1180 out of 1200.
- About, 12283 students had scored between 1151 and 1180 marks in last year. This year, only 3847 students are in into this category.
- About, 14806 students scored between 1126 and 1150 marks last year. This year, only 8510 students are in this category.
- About 17750 students had scored in the range between 1101 – 1125 last year. This year, only 11739 students are in this range.
- About, 95906 students scored between 1001 and 100 last year. This year, only 71368 students are in this category.
- At a similar trend, There is now an addition of 60000 students to the group who have scored under 700 marks, Last year (2017), 280938 students is said to have scored less than 700 marks, this year, 347938 students is said to have scored less than 700 marks.
Due the above reasons, the educationists have decreased the cut-off marks for engineering courses.
Academician Jayaprakash Gandhi shared his observations:
At this release of +2 results, only 24423 students is said to have scored on above 1100 marks out of 1200. This is stated to be less when compared to previous year. In similar, number of students who have secured less than 800 marks was increased. In fact about more than 60% students have scored less than 800 marks.
In the above data, it’s likely that student who scored about 200/200 in various subjects will be lesser. This is the main reason why examination has not released details. At this situation its explained above, cut off marks for doing engineering courses are likely to decrease down by 2 to 2 marks.
How to calculate cut-off marks?
Latest procedure in calculating cut off marks for students had done Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry to pursue engineering course is already in practice.
Example let us take the marks scored by specific student: Tamil -185, English – 186, Mathematics – 181, Physics – 171, Chemistry – 165, Biology – 176. Total – 1063.
Student who can secure admission at MBBS or BDS only based on the marks scored in NEET.
Mathematics – 181/2 – 90.50
Physics – 171/4 – 42.75
Chemistry – 165/4 – 41.25
Cut-off marks – 174.50
Note: As for the merit or rank list for the engineering course, each 0.25 cut-off is rewarded, the cut-off marks cannot be rounded off.